Saturday, September 10, 2011

remembering 9/11

As we remember September 11th, I think it's a good time for us to also remember the things that we are most especially grateful for in our lives: the things that really matter.

Ten years ago, I was in 7th grade. My family was in process of preparing to move from Texas to Philadelphia; my dad had already started working in Philadelphia. It was the beginning of the week and that morning, my dad had left to fly back to the east coast. I went to school early to get help from my science teacher. As I was leaving to go to 1st period, someone came running into the classroom and said that a plane had just hit the world trade center. As a young, naive 13 year old, I had no idea what that was. I thought it was a place where people traded things.

As first period was ending, our principal got on the speaker and told us that another plane hit the towers. Everyone around me started getting really anxious: teachers were nervous and all my friends were nervous. They explained to us a little bit about what was happening, but because we were still so young, they had on going on with school as if nothing was wrong.

But I was worried about my dad. He was flying to Philadelphia. How do I know it wasn't his plane that went into the towers? I tried to stay calm but I couldn't stop wondering. At lunch time, I was feeling calm and more put together. I sat down at the lunch table and one of my friends said, "Hey Kara, did you hear a plane crashed in Philadelphia?"

At this point, my heart sunk. That plane could be my dads. I lost it at this point. I ran to the office in tears, wanting to talk to someone to see if they could tell me what was going on. The rest of the day was kind of a blur but as I was picked up from school that day, I think I yelled at my mom for not calling the school to have them tell me dad was OK. She told me that my dad's plane had an emergency landing before they got to Philadelphia and he had rented a car and was on his way home. My family was so grateful.

I look back on that day and remember how my family came together. Many lives were lost, and there are thousands of people who are probably still suffering from the events of that day. How grateful I am for the freedoms we enjoy and the many men and women who have sacrificed and now sacrifice so that we can continue living the way we always have.

I hope I always remember how important my family is to me. That day, the only thing that was important to me was the safety of my dad. Now that life is a little less crazy, do we forget the things in life that really matter. It isn't about how much money we make, where we live, what job we have, or what things we own. Instead, it's about those people who make a difference: our friends and family.

Something I learned from that day 10 years ago was to never take any day for granted. Never miss an opportunity to spend time with loved ones. Forgive and forget. And always say, "I love you" in case it's the last time you're able to.

No comments:

Post a Comment