Sunday, April 15, 2012

the birthday of C's

This year for my birthday, Lewis spoiled me rotten. I had gifts coming almost every day. Definitely not something I was used to. He was so sweet to think of all these things. On Tuesday at work, I was going through the mail and saw a letter addressed to "Kara Goodrum" and saw that it was from Lewis. I was really confused but he'd done this once before for Valentine's day so I was a little less confused this time. The card was wishing me a happy birthday and informing me that this year was going to be a birthday of C's - meaning all the gifts he getting me were going to start with the letter C. I asked for two things this year - a chocolate cake shake and a trip to Cocoa Bean Cupcake Cafe. When I got the letter, I started brainstorming - what was he going to do?! Surely he wouldn't do both a cake shake and a trip to get cupcakes, but I didn't know which one he was going to choose. This was such a perfect birthday. I was spoiled beyond belief. I'll try to prove it to you with these pictures.

The first "C" was the card that came to my work.

A few days later, Lewis and I met at home for lunch and I was going through the fridge looking for the leftovers that I wanted when I spotted a Costco Chocolate Cake taking up the entire bottom shelf. Bliss. I was getting a cake shake :) Also included with the cake were candles for me to blow out.


Lewis wrote "Happy Birthday Kara" himself

When I got home from work on Friday, I saw a red box movie sitting on the kitchen table. A note was taped to it that said:

"long shot here, but tomorrow night we'll be watching Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. Our trip to Cocoa Bean Cupcake Cafe tomorrow should make up for lack of "C's" here.



The cupcake cafe? I was getting both! A cake shake and cupcakes. Pure bliss again.

We started celebrating on Friday night because Lewis had to spend all day Saturday taking two finals and studying for his others. So Friday night we cut the cake and made chocolate cake shakes like the ones they have at Portillo's, my favorite restaurant in Chicago. It were delicious!! Seriously one of the best things I've ever had. Better than the real thing - dare I say it. We might be making this more of a tradition. I might demand chocolate cake shakes every year :)


Then, Lewis let me open my present. This was a combined Christmas and birthday present from my mom and dad, as well as a birthday present from Lewis. Lewis and I have been wanting a nicer camera and I got it for my birthday! Lewis and I ordered it about a week ago and it came a few days before my birthday. I had to show self-control not to open it before the big day. After I opened it, I spent the next couple of hours reading the manual, preparing the memory card, and taking pictures of anything I could find around our apartment.

new camera!
The next day, I went shopping to spoil myself some more and buy a camera case with the birthday money that my grandparents had given me. Just lucky for that one that it started with a "C." Saturday after Lewis's finals and studying, we went to dinner at Cafe Rio, got dessert at Cocoa Bean Cupcake Cafe.



Then we headed over to Rock Canyon Park to take more pictures with our brand new camera.



Then, we headed home and watched Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. Lewis waited until I was done with the book to show it to me. Really good movie. I highly recommend it to everyone.

It was a spectacular birthday. I ate more sugar in two days that I should ever eat again. But there are still a lot of left overs of that chocolate cake (and ice cream) so I'm already planning on having another chocolate cake shake once dinner's over tonight.

Thanks to all my family and friends who helped make my birthday so special. I'm definitely spoiled with all the phone calls, gifts, and visits I received, so thank you! One of a kind day.

1 comment:

  1. Well you can definitely come over and make us your famous chocolate cake shakes! :) Glad you had a wonderful birthday!!

    ReplyDelete