Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Nicknames

Lewis and I have both expressed our opinions of nicknames for little Lena. Here's the two we've used and what they mean.


Dork (pay attention to the second meaning - I did not make it up):

1. a silly, out-of-touch person who tends to look odd or behave ridiculously around others; a social misfit:
2. penis.

Menace:

1. something that threatens to cause evil, harm, injury, etc.; a threat.
2. a person whose actions, attitudes, or ideas are considered dangerous or harmful.
3. an extremely annoying person.


Growing up in Lewis's house, "dork" was a loving term so it was always thrown around. If they called you dork, it meant they loved you. In my head, dork has always been a name to throw around when you want to make fun of someone. It's not a loving term when I hear it (plus, it doesn't have a very good definition) so I haven't been wanting to call Lena "dork." Let's be honest, she's not a social misfit. Yet.

There have been a select few times (like maybe once or twice) when I've called Lena a menace. But that doesn't have a nice meaning ether. I say it in loving situations and in a loving tone but Lewis says if he can't call Lena a dork then I can't call her a menace.

So I think we've finally hit a compromise. Lena is officially our goober. The definition at dictionary.com only says 'peanut.' And she is our little peanut. But to find a better definition, I went to urban dictionary. Because everyone knows that urban dictionary is the best, most uplifting place to figure out what things mean (note the sarcasm). But check out the meaning on this one.

Goober:

1. A term of endearment used in place of a persons real name.
2. A nickname
3. Used only in the most loving of ways with no negative connotation at all.
4. A loving nickname for someone who is pure, innocent, warms your heart and makes you smile.

That right there is Lena. End of discussion. Someone who warms my heart and makes me smile.

Our little goober.

Thanks urban dictionary.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Kara. You've ruined 'dork' for me. I use it all the time. Always lovingly though. Now you've ruined. ;)

    ReplyDelete