Friday, December 30, 2011

a house divided

Those of you who know Lewis and I know that we cheer for pretty much all the same sport teams. We both like the Mavericks and the Rangers (while I also like the Cubs and Phillies) and we both cheer for BYU.

We do NOT, however, have the same opinions when it comes no football. No sir. Most of our friends take my side when I tell them I'm an eagles fan and Lewis is a Cowboys fan. Most people support my need to win and the fact that the cowboys are not "American's team" because the majority of Americans (unless they're actually from Texas) don't actually like the cowboys.

[In fact (a little side note) there was a news article a few weeks ago about the Cowboys and how they've actually had the title "America's team" taken away from them and instead have been given the label of "most unpopular team in the NFL."]

So when the Eagles play the Cowboys, our house is very much divided. There was a game in October (which the Eagles won, btw) and there was another game on Christmas eve. In order to fully celebrate the occasion, Lewis and I decided it would be fun to make a cookie cake - with my logo on one side and his logo on the other.

So we did!
The cake. With half the Eagles logo and half the Cowboys.
I was in Texas for Christmas, in a house full of Cowboy fans, getting ready to watch the Eagles earn their right to forever be considered better than the Cowboys. No one wanted to eat the eagles side of the cake (so naturally, I got it all to myself!). But it was a fun night, nevertheless. We had a good time poking fun at each other. They gave me crap for liking the Eagles so I retaliated and gave them crap for liking the Cowboys. All of this was done in good humor.

You might be wondering how the game ended. Well, let me tell you (also, take into consideration that this game was a home game for the Cowboys - played at the field in Dallas). By the time the 4th quarter was wrapping up, the score was

20-0.

With the Eagles taking the lead.

While the Cowboys had home field advantage.

With 2 minutes left in the game, the Cowboys finally decided that it was time for them to maybe put a few points on the board. So they did. They scored a touchdown. And good for them. But the Eagles still won the game.

A Merry Christmas to me! The lone Eagles fan.

As much as I love to see the Cowboys (and all their fans) be put in their place, I don't like watching Lewis be so sad about the outcome of these games. So while I kind of had fun watching it, I didn't like watching Lewis get so upset about it all. But he is a trooper, and even though his team lost, he was still excited over our cookie cake that we were able to make. And I think (and hope) that it was still a fun experience for him.

Here's us with the cake. Sorry it's a little blurry.

No comments:

Post a Comment