Given that it is the Christmas season, I made it a goal to research more about Mary, since we don't know a lot about her from the scriptures. She had to be a remarkable woman to take on the rearing of Jesus the Christ. From the little that is written about her, we are able to learn about the woman that she really was.
![]() |
| photo by Liz Lemon-Swindle |
In his book, Talmage talks about Mary's reaction to the news when she is told that she will be the mother of the Son of God. Immediately, she accepts it. Instead of asking, "why me?" or "are you sure?" she says, "OK, I believe you, but how since I'm not married yet." And that's when the miracle was made known to her - that she would conceive through the power of the Holy Ghost.
Gabriel keeps talking to her about the things that she'll be doing and before he leaves her she tells him: "Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word."
What faith! I've talked to Lewis about how I've always wanted to be more like Mary. About a year ago, I was going through family history and discovered that my line goes back to the Savior. I'm related to Mary, the mother of Jesus. And I was shocked (and really excited!).
In my mind, she's such a humble, meek and willing child of God. She's willing to do anything that the Lord wants, which is evident by her response when Gabriel told her who she was meant to be. Talmage describes Mary, in Jesus the Christ, as a "stainless mother and wife." In a song I heard sung last Christmas, the lyrics describe Mary as strong but frail, blameless and pure.
I think all of those descriptions are accurate. She's humble, submissive, stainless, strong, pure and frail. And faithful. She had such great faith to be able to say, "Be it unto me" instead of, "I think you've got the wrong girl." Because I'm sure that's what I would have said.
Robert J. Matthews gave a talk about Mary and Joseph, in which he quotes Bruce R. McConkie:
"As there is only one Christ, so there is only one Mary. And as the Father chose the most noble and righteous of all his spirit sons to come into mortality as his Only Begotten in the flesh, so we may confidently conclude that he selected the most worthy and spiritually talented of all his spirit daughters to be the mortal mother of his Eternal Son."
I loved this quote. How true it is. Mary had to be one of strongest and purest of all the spirit children to take on what great role she had. Because while I'm sure Christ received instruction from His Heavenly Father, Mary was the one providing the love, safety, and learning in the home, which is one of the most important jobs we could have.
In Jesus the Christ, Talmage goes into describing more about Mary's reaction to the birth of her son and the appearance of the shepherds. In Luke 2:19, it is made clear that Mary spends time thinking about all that is happening around her. According to the scripture, she pondered in her heart all the events that were taking place.
She probably had no idea what was going to happen to her little boy. All that He would have to go through. And all that He would suffer, by His own will. It reminds me of that song, Mary, Did You Know?
He was the Son of God, but still her little baby through it all. What knowledge she had to possess to be able to teach Him and train Him. What strength she had to have, both emotionally and spiritually, as she worked to raise the Son of God. And then to watch Him sacrifice Himself in such a way to save us all.
I can't wait to meet her.

No comments:
Post a Comment